Need to take your ministry impact to a new level? So often we find ourselves in meetings or planning sessions that could move things in the right direction, but it’s almost like we’re the guy who shows up with a knife to a gunfight!
What can move things in the right direction? Sometimes the right questions make all the difference.
Here are 5 of my favorites:
- What’s the best way to…? I picked this up recently from Andy Stanley. Works great when you’re stuck with legacy solution that just isn’t working very well any more (from Andy Stanley’s Leadership Podcast, Introducing Change).
- How might we…? I got this one from Tim Brown, CEO and President of IDEO (from The Secret Phrase Top Innovators Use).
- What would have to be true for that approach to work? Or, “for the idea on the table to be a fantastic option?” I love these two questions from Roger Martin, Dean of the Rotman School of Management (p. 12, The Design of Business).
- What are we not doing that we should start doing right away? What should we immediately stop doing in order to allow for the emergence of the new? Bill Taylor, a co-founder of Fast Company, is a great source of ideas like this. (p. 123, Practically Radical)
- What 21st-century challenges are testing the design limits of our ______ strategy? Also, What are the limitations of our model that have failed to keep up with the times? Gary Hamel has been called “the world’s leading expert on business strategy.” (from The Future of Management)
What do you think? Want to ask a question? Have a great question to add? You can click here to jump into the conversation.