Had a chance this week to review Andy Stanley’s newest DVD-driven study, Christian: It’s Not What You Think. Wow! So good. Based on a series that North Point did about this time last year, this 8 week series will be a great study for many groups.
Stanley’s central idea is that the words used today to describe Christians often bear no resemblance to what Jesus wanted His followers to be known for. If you’re at all like me, you’ll find yourself shaking your head in agreement and recognizing the disparities in the same moment. Compelling and convicting.
The DVD segments are excerpts from Stanley’s messages and average 15 minutes in length. Just about right for most attention spans. The teaching on this topic is very compelling and crystal clear. Right out of the New Testament, Stanley is a spell-binding communicator as he takes some of the most familiar passages and puts small group members right in the front row for the conversation.
The Participant’s Guide includes everything you need to unpack the profound set of ideas that form the basis of this series:
- A well-designed discussion starter helps the group take a first look at the topic.
- A video overview and a section for taking notes enables a look ahead at the teaching to come and a place to jot down key ideas.
- A great set of discussion questions that will help group members dig deep into the content.
- Mileposts keep your members focused on the central truths.
- Moving Forward and Changing Your Mind provide direction for next steps.
- 5 short devotional segments help set up the next session.
You’ll find a leader’s guide on the DVD along with a selection of promotional resources (bulletin inserts, postcard templates, poster and powerpoint slide), but take it from me, the teaching is presented so clearly there really is none needed. The selected passages that form the basis for the study will be eye-opening for many group members who have never really wrestled with these ideas.
Back when this series was being given at North Point, I downloaded these messages and listened to them multiple times. I shared it with many of my friends. When I saw that they’d taken the content and created an 8 week small group curriculum, I was so excited for you! This is a powerful study. Your small group members need this content. I love Christian and I think you will too!