Had an opportunity to preview The Gospel According to Jonah: A New Kind of Obedience, a new DVD-driven study from J.D. Greear. The lead pastor of Summit Church in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina; Summit Church has been one of Outreach magazines top 25 fastest growing churches in America for several years running.
Six sessions, the video content is pitched just about right, with the sessions averaging 15 minutes in length. Greear is a very compelling speaker and communicates in a way that will pull group members into the fascinating story of Jonah. Better, he unearths a number of very important aspects of the story that have direct implications for all of us today.
The Leader’s Kit also includes a campaign guide and publicity tools (logos, bulletin templates, poster designs, etc.) for those churches that are looking for help in implementing a church-wide campaign.
The DVD is accompanied by a very well designed member book, packed with everything your group needs to dig deeply into the key ideas and teaching in the Old Testament book of Jonah. Developed by Spence Shelton, Summit’s small group pastor, the member book includes:
- a short introduction (to be read prior to the group meeting)
- a pump-priming set of warm-up questions
- a video guide to help your members follow the video teaching
- a group study based on a related Old or New Testament passage, encouraging a discussion that grapples with the wider context of the gospel throughout the scriptures
- a wrap up section that helps members move beyond hearing to doing
- three devotionals per session that helps members continue to deepen their understanding during the week
Along with the DVD and the member book, there is also an easy-to-use leader’s guide built in to the appendix of the member book. While it’s not comprehensive or overly detailed, the guide is more than adequate and provides enough guidance to help even new leaders deliver a richer experience for their members.
If you’re looking for studies that will help your group members deepen their understanding of God’s relentless pursuit of those that He loves, The Gospel According to Jonah ought to be on your list to review. I’m adding it to my recommended list and I think you will too!