I’ve written in the past about the exponential power of a church-wide campaign. I know of no other strategy that provides the game-changing and trajectory-shifting potential of a well-timed and well-executed church-wide campaign.
There are at least 7 powerful benefits:
- Spiritual growth. The powerful combination of a weekend message series, a small group study, daily devotionals, memory verses, and a number of other ingredients enables exponential growth. A concentrated dose on the right topic will often result in a life-changing trajectory shift. See also, Essential Ingredients for Life-Change.
- One conversation. When a church-wide campaign is truly a church-wide campaign (i.e., when there are resources for adults, teens and children), there can be one conversation around the dinner table. Think about the power of every member of the family and everyone in the congregation talking about the same thing for 6 weeks. See also, How to Choose the Right Church-Wide Campaign,
- Congregational focus. Church-wide campaigns can fan into flame new vision and new focus. Far beyond the impact of a message series alone, the right elements can focus conversations and alter perspectives.
- New groups. No other strategy even comes close to the new group launching potential of a church-wide campaign. A senior pastor’s encouragement to “attend a worship service and join a 6 week small group that is using the study that goes along with what I’m teaching” is a powerful incentive. See also, Top 5 Advantages of New Small Groups.
- Additional leaders. With the right strategy it is very possible to identify the additional leaders your congregation needs in order to take your ministry to the next level. Doing what you’ve always done will get you what’s you’ve always gotten. If you want to break through barriers you will need more leaders and the best way to discover additional leaders is with a church-wide campaign. See also, 5 Keys to Finding More Leaders.
- Momentum. They say the hardest car to steer is a parked car. A well-executed church-wide campaign can energize your congregation and help build momentum.
- Community outreach. Your church-wide campaign topic determines two things: (a) who will say “yes” to hosting a small group and (b) who will say “yes” to attending a small group. Choose a topic that appeals cross-culturally and your congregation will find it easy to invite friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family members. See also, The Easy/Hard Continuum and The Latest on Church-Wide Campaigns (2014).
What do you think? Have a question? Want to argue? You can click here to jump into the conversation.