Tis the season where churches everywhere are launching church-wide campaigns. And churches everywhere are looking for ways to add a few more host homes, a few more open locations where a few more unconnected people can finally come in out of the cold. That’s the motivation, right? That’s what we’re all trying to do.
Your church might be one of those churches that are trying to figure this out! Here’s the Jedi move that will add another 5 to 10% to your total: Lower the bar one more time.
You heard me right. Lower the bar one more time! Here’s how to do it:
- Figure out what 10% of your total number of hosts is (i.e., whether you’ve already recruited 30 hosts or 300 hosts we’re talking 10% of that number) and prepare enough host kits to make a “grab and go” table in the lobby.
- The “grab and go” host kits should include 4 books, the DVD, and a Jump Start Your Group handout (see below for handout information). You don’t need a lot in the kit. Just enough to help a few new hosts see how easy it could be. You should also have a very simple card for them to fill out (name, telephone, email).
- Station some friendly people at the “grab and go” table in the lobby. Their whole job is to say “yes.” For example, “Can I do this with just my husband and our best friends?” “Yes.” “Can I do this with just my family?” “Yes.” “Can I do this with just a few friends from my bunco group?” “Yes!” I think you get the idea.
- Add this idea to your pastor’s spiel during his message: “We’re so excited about everyone being in a group for the 40 Days (or whatever campaign you’re doing) that we’ve made it really easy for you. Even if you can only do this 2 or 3 other people, if you can only do it with a few friends that can meet when you can meet, or if you’d like to do it with a few members of your family…we’ve got a host kit for you at the “grab and go” table in the lobby.
- Say the spiel again at the end of each service and really sell the idea. Then get ready for a few people to stop by the table.
Important Background Information:
There are a two background items that make this a good idea.
- There are two groups of people who have been unmoved by your recruiting efforts over the last few weeks. Introverted people who are afraid of a houseful of strangers. Influential people who are very busy and hard to pin down initially to get involved. Both groups will say yes if you make it easy to do with just a few friends or family.
- Most of the DVD-driven studies that you’d be using include a very important idea at the end of session one. They ask the group to think about “anyone else who would have enjoyed this discussion.” Many studies actually have a blank at the end of that question for people to write in the name of a friend or two. It’s very possible that these groups will double in week 2.
Jump Start Your Group Handout
Want a copy of our handout? Sign up to receive my emails and you’ll receive a downloadable copy in minutes.
Be sure and read about what happened next: Mass Hysteria at the Grab and Go Table