I’ve been spending some time with a great new book from Carey Nieuwhof these last couple weeks. Lasting Impact: 7 Powerful Conversations that Will Help Your Church Grow is the newest book from Nieuwhof. With one of the most popular blogs, especially on the topic of reaching unchurched people, his is a familiar name for many of us.
There is a lot to really like about Lasting Impact. Framed around 7 conversations that would help any church to grow, every chapter skillfully develops both the need for the conversation and how to have it. There’s even a set of discussion questions at the end of every chapter.
The 7 conversations are:
- Conversation #1. Why Are We Not Growing Faster?
- Conversation #2. How Do We Respond as People Attend Church Less Often?
- Conversation #3. Are Our Leaders Healthy . . . Really?
- Conversation #4. What Keeps High-Capacity Leaders from Engaging Our Mission?
- Conversation #5. Why are Young Adults Walking Away from Church?
- Conversation #6. What Cultural Trends Are We Missing?
- Conversation #7. What Are We Actually Willing to Change?
The book has the same feel as many of his most popular blog posts. It’s not a difficult read. In fact, the only difficulty is putting it down long enough to actually have the conversations! While a quick glance at the list of conversations may cause you to wonder if you could really have that conversation, it should also give you some hope that having that conversation may bring the change your congregation needs.
I also really liked the very practical nature of the content. Although these are conversations that are often reserved for off-site meetings facilitated by consultants with briefcases, they don’t have to be. I can definitely see leadership teams reading Lasting Impact and working through the conversations at their own pace.
I loved Lasting Impact and will be recommending it to many of my coaching and consulting clients. Whether you’re already familiar with Carey Nieuwhof or not, you’ll be glad you picked up a copy of this very practical and powerful book.