Looking for a DVD-driven study on marriage to recommend to your small groups? Although it was released in 2004, I’m just taking a look at Love Talk: A Six-Session Guide to Speaking Each Other’s Language and this is some very good stuff!
Based on their popular book by the same title, the DVD segments combine short informative teaching segments by Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott and personal interaction between couples who have used their communication techniques.
“Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott are husband-and-wife team who not only share the same name, but the same passion for helping others build healthy relationships. Their professional training – Leslie as a marriage and family therapist, and Les as a clinical psychologist – ensures a presentation that is grounded, insightful and cutting-edge (from their website).”
The titles of the six session topics are pretty descriptive and will help you see where the study is headed:
- Communication 101 (based on chapters 2 and 3 in Love Talk)
- The Foundation of Every Great Communication (based on chapter 4 in Love Talk)
- Your Personal Talk Style (based on chapters 5 thru 9 in Love Talk)
- The Secret to Emotional Connection (based on chapter 10 in Love Talk)
- When Not to Talk (based on chapter 13 in Love Talk)
- The Most Important Conversation You’ll Ever Have (based on chapter 14 in Love Talk)
Each participant will need their own workbook (and there are different workbooks for men and women). In addition to the small group discussion guide, the workbooks contain 21 self-tests and exercises designed to help:
- Identify your personal communication style
- Understand how it interacts with that of your partner
- Talk your way to a healthier, stronger relationship
In addition to the participant workbook, there are reading assignments from Love Talk, the book by the same title. A free individual Love Talk Indicator assessment is included with the purchase of the book. Additional assessments can be purchased at RealRelationships.com ($14.95 each at the time of this review).
As a package, this has all the ingredients of a great study for your groups. Although it’s not a Bible study, it will be a really valuable resource for your couples groups. I highly recommend it.