I had a chance to spend some time this week with a powerful new study from Rick Warren, the founding pastor of Saddleback Church and #1 New York Times best-selling author of The Purpose Driven Life. Son of God: The Life of Jesus in You, is a new 6 session small group study based on the feature film produced by Mark Burnett and Roma Downey.
DVD-driven, this 6 session study features teaching by Rick Warren as he explains how you can find your purpose in studying the life of Jesus. The video sessions are 20 to 35 minutes in length and are enhanced with scenes from the Son of God movie.
Son of God focuses on a very powerful set of themes that do much more than follow the life of Jesus. This study is designed to give you “practical steps to overcome temptation, suffering, and persecution and leverage these challenges to discover and fulfill God’s plan for you.”
The 6 session titles and themes are:
- Jesus’ Baptism and Your Baptism
- Jesus’ Temptation and Your Temptation
- Jesus’ Suffering and Your Suffering
- Jesus’ Death and Your Death
- Jesus’ Resurrection and Your Resurrection
- Jesus’ Ministry and Your Ministry
The study guide provides a number of very important features:
- A lesson outline designed to help you take notes as you watch the session video
- Discovery questions designed to help you dig in to the truths you are learning,
- Application exercises to help you put what you’re learning into practice
- Prayer helps
- Additional scripture for further study and personal devotions
Son of God is very skillfully designed to be user friendly. The member book makes it easy for just about anyone to host a study in their home, at work, at church or even at a coffee shop. Every member book includes a set of helps for hosts. The video is very inspiring and application oriented.
Son of God: The Life of Jesus in You is a very powerful experience. The unique combination of Rick Warren’s sensitivity to the hangups and hurts of real people coupled with the compelling video from the feature film make this study very timely. If you’re on the lookout for small group material that is an easy invite and even easier to use, don’t miss this study. I highly recommend it!