Had a chance to preview John Ortberg’s newest DVD-driven study this week. Soul Keeping: Caring for the Most Important Part of You is based on Ortberg’s book by the same title and is an exploration of the soul from “the perspective of someone who has struggled to understand and care for his own soul.” A very personal study, Soul Keeping will take your group in a life-changing direction.
DVD-driven, Soul Keeping is a six-session study featuring classic Ortberg teaching on what might be his sweetest sweet spot. At 22 to 25 minutes long, the video segments are at the upper end of attention span, but honestly, it’s easy to get so wrapped up in the story that the time flies right by.
The study guide includes all of the elements you need for an engaging study:
- An extensive video viewing guide with space to take notes along with the quotes you wish you could write down and the illustrations that make the idea clear.
- A group discussion guide that opens the door to an engaging conversation about the key ideas of the session.
- A short individual activity to be completed on your own during the group meeting.
- A group practice to complete individually during the following week. The practice is designed to help members to deeply apply what they are learning.
- A personal study is also included for the following week. Although it could be completed in one sitting, each personal study is fairly extensive (6 to 10 pages).
If you’re wondering how to help your group members reclaim or restore their sense of soul health, Soul Keeping might be the most important study your group will do this year. I loved every minute of it and I think your group will too.