Although for many of us, John Ortberg’s best-seller, The Life You’ve Always Wanted, might be shelved neatly in betweeen If You Want to Walk on the Water You’ve Got to Get out of the Boat and The Me I Want to Be…I’m thinking it might really be begging for a second look…as a church-wide campaign.
The winning combination of:
- a great topic (especially a great first of the year topic)
- author name recognition (there are few better)
- a very marketable title (think about what this title promises)
- easy-to-use DVD-driven material (this is essential for the kind of church-wide campaign that can include everyone)
- an easy-to-read trade book that provides more for those who will invest the time in between sessions
There really is a lot to like about this study! John Ortberg is a very compelling guide in the six-session DVD. The study guide questions are good and will prompt an engaging discussion. The topic is an extremely timely one and will make for some very easy invitations.
What’s lacking? If there was an included set of sermon transcripts and sermon outlines (you know they exist somewhere) along with some prefabricated marketing materials…The Life You’ve Always Wanted
would be perfect right out of the box. Still, and I think you’ll agree, this study comes with almost everything you’re looking for when choosing a church-wide campaign. If you’re looking for a campaign that will help your congregation move forward, I’d definitely suggest that you add this one to your list!