A fundamental question about small group ministry is, "What have you designed your small groups to do?" or "What have you designed your small groups to make?"
I have always believed that small group ministries with the right design (a) make it easy for unconnected people to get connected and (b) nearly automatic that they enter an environment designed for life-change. Neither design element happens without intentionality. Both design elements require deep empathy for the needs of the customer (both expressed and unexpressed needs). See also, 5 Things I Wish You Knew As You Build Your Small Group Ministry.
Here are my top 10 posts on discipleship and making disciples in groups:
- Top 10 Things I Need to Know about Discipleship
- 6 Reasons Our Discipleship Strategies Miss the Mark
- How to Make Disciples in Small Groups
- 6 Essential Questions about Making Disciples and Small Group Ministry
- 5 Signs You May Have a Bad Disciple-Making Strategy
- 4 Leading Indicators of Small Group Ministries that Make Disciples
- Lagging Indicators of Effective Disciple-Making Small Group Ministries
- Skill Training: Equip Your Coaches to Develop and Disciple Leaders
- 7 Practices for Developing and Discipling Your Coaches
- 8 Things I Know for Sure about Making Disciples in Small Groups
Image by Russell Yarwood